Sunday, February 9, 2014

Musings...

Pro...
It's absolutely madness how so many photographic and cycling manufacturers name their products with a "Pro" suffix. I use Litepro (or LitePro), but that's about the only one I didn't really like the name. OK, fine. So I do have Hope Pro II hubs on my mountain bike, and the Pro II Evo for my folding bike hubs... Anymore "Pro", that I'm sure will detract from the road-worthiness of any machine. Imagine Aleoca one day becoming Aleoca-Pro, and being in the ProTour! Prolapse sounds more like it... The only thing "pro" about me would probably be my proboscis!

Aero...
You know how it comes across as funny. I came across triathlon in the late 90s, and then I kind of stuck along to it from a distance, and had the pleasure of riding a triathlon bike that was possibly falling apart somewhat due to the neglect (or know-how) of the previous owners. That was also my only personal experience with aerodynamic wheels - and that was a delicious set of Dura-Ace 7700 hubs laced to HED Jet rims - essntially alloy rims, bonded to a 50+ mm thick carbon fiber fairing. In today's context it'd be called crude (I sold the wheels long ago) and fast forward a decade today... it's funny to see much more roadies (aside from those swearing by Ambrosio box-section rims) using aero wheelsets...

Triathlon...
Sort of related to the earlier bit about aero stuff... but do the newer riders know where products like Rotor's Q-Rings, and aero wheels come from? That's right... Triathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment